CLUB RULES (Revised October 2014)
1. Name. The name of the Club shall be the Central Ward Residents & Sports Club. (Hereinafter called “the Club.”)
2. Objects. The Objects of the Club shall be the advancement of communal fellowship in the local area and the promotion of social and athletic activities amongst the members.
3. Officers. The Officers of the Club shall consist of the Chairman (who shall be ex-officio Chairman of the Management Committee in which capacity he shall have a second or casting vote), Vice-Chairman ,Trustees, Treasurer, Secretary (if unsalaried) and Assistant Secretary.
4. Election of Officers
The Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Assistant Secretary shall be elected annual by ballot as defined under Rule 47.
MEMBERSHIP AND SUBSCRIPTIONS
5. Qualifications. Such persons as the Committee may deem it to be in the interests of the Club to admit. No person shall be admitted to membership under the age of 18 years.
6. Subscriptions and Joining Fees. The Annual Subscription shall be determined, from time to time, at the Annual General Meeting (AGM), or at a Special General Meeting convened for that purpose. The current subscription rate shall be displayed on the Club Notice Board.
7. Payment of Joining Fee and First Annual Subscription. No candidate elected shall be deemed to be a Member of the Club until they have paid their first subscription.
8. Non-Payment of Annual Subscription. The Annual Subscription shall be due and payable without demand on 1st January each year. Membership will be deemed ceased for any Member whose Annual Subscription remains unpaid on 31st January each year.
9. Inability to Pay. If, however, the delay in payment can be accounted for to the satisfaction of the Management Committee, the name of the Member may be restored to the membership list at the discretion of the Committee.
10. Election. The election of members shall be vested solely in the Management Committee.
11. Nominations. Every person wishing to become a member must be proposed and seconded by two members able from personal knowledge to vouch for their respectability and fitness to be a member. The two members shall sign the nomination forms as well as the candidate who by doing so shall pledge themselves to support and to abide by the rules of the Club now or thereafter in force in the event of their being elected a member.
Candidates shall on nomination pay the current Entrance fee and full annual subscription. Such sums to be returned in the event of non-election, except as provided under Rule 14.
Each candidate elected shall be notified and providing that their joining and subscription fees have been paid shall become a member of the Club and shall be provided with a card of Membership and a copy of the Rules.
12. Name and Address of Candidates to be posted on Club Notice Board. The name, address and occupation of each candidate, and names of their proposer and seconder, shall be posted on the Club Notice Board at least seven days before they are accepted as a member.
13. Duty of Members to report Undesirable Candidates. Any member who is of the opinion that any candidate proposed would not be a desirable Member shall inform the Secretary, who will communicate the objection to the Committee.
14. Candidates to Attend before Management Committee. The Management Committee may require the attendance of any candidate and their proposer and seconder to answer any such questions as may be put to them. If a Candidate does not appear before the Management Committee when required to do so, or send a satisfactory excuse for not doing so, within four weeks, his entrance fee shall be forfeited to the funds of the Club, and his election not proceeded with.
15. Disqualification of Candidates. No rejected candidate shall again be proposed as a Member until the expiration of six months from the date of such rejection. No person who shall have been expelled from the Club shall ever again be proposed as a candidate, or make use of the club premises, except by the special consent of the Management Committee shall have been previously obtained to their being so proposed or so using the Club.
No person who shall at any time have been a Member of the Club shall be eligible for re-election before the period of one year therefrom has elapsed; unless all subscriptions which would have been due from them, had they been a member between the time of their ceasing to pay their subscription and their seeking re-election have been paid.
16. Resignation of a Member. Any Member wishing to resign must send a written notice to the Secretary, together with the subscription due up to the date of its taking effect, and shall thereupon cease to be a member.
17. Suspended Members. A suspended member shall remain liable to pay their subscription.
18. Production of Membership Ticket. Every Member shall produce the receipt for their subscription or card of membership when called upon to do so by any person authorised by the Management Committee to make such demand on the Club premises.
19. Change of Address. Any Member changing their address shall within fourteen days give notice to the Secretary in writing and until such written notice is given all communications and notices sent to their last address shall have be deemed to have been served on the Member.
20. Life and Honorary Members. (a) The Management Committee shall have the power to elect a member who has rendered exceptional service to the Club to Life Membership of the Club without fee or subscription and they shall enjoy the full privileges of the club, (b) The Management Committee shall in future have the power to elect from time to time as Honorary Members without fee or subscription those of distinction or those who have rendered valuable services to the Club.
21. Removal of Officers. Any of the officers shall be removable at any time by a majority of two-thirds of the Members present at a Special General Meeting called for that purpose.
22. Vacancies: How filled. Any casual vacancy occurring amongst the Officers of the Management Committee other than trustees shall be filled by the Management Committee. Any person so appointed shall retain their office until the end of the current year. Any Officer shall vacate their office if suspended from membership or ceasing membership from any cause.
23. Salaries and Security of Officers. The Secretary shall receive such salary and give such security as the Management Committee may from time to time determine, and shall discharge their duties under the direction and control of the Management Committee. In the event of the secretary receiving a fixed salary, the Management Committee shall have power to elect them to Honorary Membership entitling them to enjoy the privileges of membership other than voting or moving resolutions at any meeting of the Club. On vacating office their Honorary Membership shalt cease, but the Management Committee may, at its discretion, reinstate their name in the list of members without compliance with the usual formalities of election. Any other Officer (as also Steward) in receipt or charge of money shall also give such security as the Management Committee may from time to time determine.
DUTIES OF OFFICERS
24. Tenure of Office.
All the property, of the Club shall be vested in the Trustees, who shall be admitted to all meetings of the Management Committee and Sub-Committees and take part in proceedings with the power to vote. They shall be indemnified against risk and expense out of the Club’s real and personal property.
The number of Trustees shall not be more than three a less than two. The Trustees shall be considered to hold office permanently until resignation, removal or death No member of the Club shall be elected
Trustee without their consent previously obtained. No person shall be at the same time an Officer or Committee Member of the Club. The Trustees shall be considered to hold office permanently until resignation, removal or death.
25. Vacancy: How Filled: In the case of any vacancy, another Trustee shall be elected by a majority of members at AGM or a meeting called for that purpose.
26. Duties of the Treasurer. The Treasurer shall be responsible for seeing that all the moneys received are duly paid into the bank at least once a week. They shall also see that all debts of the Club are paid as directed by the Management Committee. They shall, at every meeting of the Committee (or more often if required) produce the Paying -in-Book, Cash Book and Pass Book for inspection showing that the foregoing duties have been carried out. They shall enter up the account book; prepare the balance sheets and submit same to the auditors.
27. Finance. All monies of the Club shall be placed with a Joint Stock Bank in the name of the Club. All cheques shall be signed with the knowledge of the Secretary, Treasurer or a Trustee by two Officers from those who have been accepted as authorised signatories by the Management Committee.
28. Duties of Secretary. (a) The Secretary shall on all occasions in the execution of their office act under the superintendence, control and direction of the Management Committee and shall receive moneys on account of the Club and deal with the same as directed by the Management Committee.. They shall keep the accounts, documents and papers of the Club, in such manner and for such purposes as the Management Committee shall appoint. (b) The Secretary shall summon and attend all meetings and take minutes of the proceedings. (c) The Secretary or Assistant Secretary shall in the event of intoxicating liquor being consumed on the Club premises; keep upon the Club premises a register of the names and addresses of bona fide visitors and Club Members with a record of the latest payment of their subscription. (d) The Secretary shall when necessary furnish the appropriate authorities the particulars required under Licensing Acts. (e) The Secretary shall comply with the requirements of the provisions of any Acts relative to the employment of servants of the club. (f) The Secretary shall be supplied by the Management Committee with copies of the Rules and shall be bound to deliver a copy thereof to any member on demand, on payment as the Management Committee may from time to time determine.
29. Duties of Assistant Secretary.
The Assistant Secretary shall assist the Secretary in their duties. b) In the absence of the Secretary on annual leave or sickness, the Assistant Secretary shall have the full powers of the Secretary and perform the duties of the Secretary.c) In the absence of the Secretary on casual leave the Assistant Secretary shall have the full disciplinary power these rules conferred upon the Secretary.
30. The Members, at the Annual General Meeting shall elect the Auditor/s who shall meet the existing legal requirements.
31. Duties. The Auditors shall audit the balance sheets, and for that purpose shall have access to all the books and accounts of the Club. They shall examine the accounts and receipts and expenditure, funds and effects of the Club and shall verify the same with the vouchers relating thereto, and shall either sign the same as found by them to be correct and duly vouched or shall specially report to the meeting of the club before which the same is laid, in what respects they find it incorrect, or unvouched.
32. Balance Sheet. A copy of the balance sheet for the year, with the report of the Auditors shall be posted in the Club and copies available at least seven days before the Annual General Meeting.
33. Disqualification. No officer of the Club or member of the Management Committee shall be an auditor.
34. Constitution The Management Committee shall consist of twelve members (exclusive of the Officers, who shall be members of the Management Committee, ex-officio, and have power to vote, except as provided by Rule 23) and one third of the Management Committee shall retire at each Annual General Meeting, and shall be eligible for re-election.
35. How to be elected. The election of the Management Committee shall be by ballot, to be held during the fortnight preceding the Annual General Meeting.
36. Meetings. The Management Committee shall meet at least once a month and five members shall form a quorum.
37. Disqualification for Membership of the Management Committee. Any member of the Management Committee ceasing to be a member of the Club, other than Trustees, being absent from three consecutive meetings of the Management Committee of which they have been notified shall, unless they send an explanation which the Management Committee shall deem satisfactory, cease to be a member of the Management Committee . Any member whose name appears on the arrears list, or who is suspended, shall cease to be a member of the Management Committee ,and the vacancy shall be filled as provided.
38. Honorary Members. Honorary members and relatives of employees of the Club shall not serve on the Management Committee unless dispensation is given by the Management Committee.
AUTHORITY OF THE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
39. General Powers. The Management Committee shall conduct the general business of the Club, and regulate the internal management, and shall have power to enforce Rules, and make, amend or cancel, such bye-laws (which shall be exhibited in a prominent position) as may be necessary for the conduct of the Club in conformity with these Rules. The Management Committee may let, or allow the use of any portion of the Club for meetings, entertainment of which not less than two days’ notice shall be posted in the Club Room.
40. Sub-Committees. The Management Committee may appoint sub-committees, which shall manage the several departments of the Club under the supervision of the Management Committee and may delegate to sub-committees such powers as they deem fit.
41. Appointments and Dismissals. The appointment and dismissal of the Secretary, Treasurer, Steward and other Club servants shall be vested solely in the Management Committee.
42. Resolutions Passed by the Management Committee. No resolution passed by the Management Committee shall be rescinded unless notice shall have been given at a previous meeting of the Management Committee of intention to propose such rescission.
43. Power to Suspend or Expel. The Management Committee shall have the power to reprimand, suspend or expel, any Member who shall infringe any rule or whose conduct shall, in their opinion, whether within or without the Club, render them unfit for membership of the club.
Any Officer, shall be empowered to order the immediate withdrawal of any member offending against the Rules of the Club and must report the matter to the Management Committee at its next meeting at within seven clear days of the committal of the alleged offence, and as such Member shall have no right of re-entry to the Club premises until summoned to meet the Management Committee.
If the Management Committee is of the opinion that the complaint laid against any Member does not warrant it summoning them to appear before it, the member in question must at once be notified to this effect and they shall be free to resume their rights as a member. At least seven clear day’s notice in writing shall be given by the Secretary to the member of their being summoned before the Management Committee and such notice shall contain a statement of the complaints brought against them.
No member, unless convicted of an offence by a court of summary jurisdiction or other court, shall be finally suspended or expelled without first being summoned before the Management Committee and full opportunity afforded to them to explain their conduct, nor unless a majority of at least two-thirds of the Management Committee then present and voting, vote for their suspension or expulsion, and the decision of the Management Committee shall be final. Should the member fail to appear before the Management Committee or give suitable reason for their non-appearance, their case can be proceeded with and dealt with by the Management Committee in their absence.
44. Orders. The Management Committee or any officer authorised by it in writing shall have power to give orders to tradesmen and other things necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Club; but nothing in this rule shall empower the Management Committee, or any officer authorised by it, to incur expenditure; except such as is consistent with the purposes for which the Club is established.
No member of the Management Committee shall have any direct or indirect financial interest in any contracts for work to be done in the Club unless it is deemed to be financially advantageous to the club by the Management Committee. No claim will be recognised, or paid for any work done, or for any goods supplied to the Club, without an order from the Management Committee.
FINANCE HOUSE AND BAR COMMITTEE
45. Constitution The Finance House and Bar Committee shall consist of the Officers (Rule 3) and two members of the Management Committee.
46. Duties. It shall be the duty of the Finance, House and Bar Committee to check all demands for payment with the order book of the Club, and with the delivery notes and invoices,. To see the stock is taken once each month and to report to the Management Committee whether such stock vouches the correctness of the return made to the Club by the Steward and whether the accounts for payment are correct. It shall see the Secretary’s cash book is made up each month, and the financial standing of the Club is shown in the Bank Pass Book (these books duly made up to date shall be laid on the table at each meeting), and shall take urgent action as may be necessary in regards to any irregularity or
conduct in the Club or Bar reported by the Secretary. The proceedings of the Finance, House and Bar Committee shall be recorded by the Secretary in a minute book kept for that purpose.
The Finance, House and Bar Committee shall lead the Management Committee with respect to products stocked and prices charged and take responsibility for the line management of the Club Steward unless such a duty is bestowed on an Officer selected by the Management Committee.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS & MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
47 Nominations. Every candidate for office shall be proposed and seconded by two Members entitled to vote on a Form obtainable from the Secretary. Their subscriptions must have been paid up to date, must have been a Member for previous three years and not less than 21 years of age, and their nomination shall be in the hands of the Secretary not later than 31st January. All candidates for, Trustee ,Chairman, Vice Chairman, Assistant Secretary must have served at least three years on the Management Committee.
48. Manner of Voting. Each member of the Club shall have one vote for each vacancy, and no Member shall give more than one vote to any candidate. Each member is entitled to propose one only and second one only nominee for Officer or Committee.
49. Notice to be Given. At least three weeks prior to 31st January, a notice shall be posted in the Club by the Secretary, inviting nominations of candidates for Committee or as Officers of the Club.
51. Scrutineers. The Management Committee shall appoint three Scrutineers to carry out the ballot under their direction, and the results of the ballot shall be declared at the ensuing General or Special General Meeting. No Officer of the Club, Member of the Management Committee or candidate, may be appointed a Scrutineer
52. Ties. In the case of a tie between any two or more candidates, the names of such candidates shall be written on pieces of paper, which shall be folded and placed in a receptacle from which the Chairman of the meeting shall draw as many names as there are vacancies to be filled. The names thus drawn shall be declared duly elected. Should vacancy arise on the Management Committee by reason of one of the elected being chosen for some other office, the vacancy shall be filled by the candidate who receives the highest amount of votes next to the elected.
53. Date and Tie of Ballots. The number of hours and dates during which the ballots shall remain open shall be determined by the Management Committee and a notice put up on the Club Notice Board to that effect.
RESIGNATION OF COMMITTEE
54. Steps to be taken. In the event of the whole of the Management Committee resigning at any time, the Secretary shall obtain nominations during the following three days, and the ballot shall be held within seven days of such resignation for the election of a new Management Committee. The result of the ballot shall be declared at a Special General Meeting called by the Secretary within ten days of such resignation. The time and notice required for nomination under Rules 48 and for Special General Meetings under Rule 61 shall not apply to this case.
REMOVAL OF MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE AND ELECTION OF NEW MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
55. Removal of Management Committee. The Management Committee, or any member or members thereof, may be removed by a majority of three fourths of the members present at a Special General Meeting called for that purpose.
56. Election of New management Committee. The election of the new Management Committee or Committee members shall take place in the manner prescribed in the previous Rule upon resignation of the Committee.
57. When to be Held. The Ordinary Annual General Meeting shall be held in April in each year, on a day to be fixed by the Management Committee.
58. Notice to be given. Notice of such Annual General Meeting shall be posted in the Club copies made available to members at least seven clear days before the date appointed for such meeting.
59. Annual Report. At the Annual General Meeting a statement of affairs, and balance sheet and report of the Auditors shall be presented, and also the result of the ballot for the Committee and Officers.
60. Adjournment. Any General or Special General Meeting may be adjourned to such time as a majority shall decide, but no business other than that which would have been transacted at the original meeting shall be brought forward at such adjourned meeting.
61. Rescinding of Resolutions. No resolution passed at the Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting shall be rescinded unless notice of the intention to propose such rescission shall have been given at a previous Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting.
SPECIAL GENERAL MEETINGS
62. How to be called. The Secretary shall summon a Special General Meeting as follows:
(i) At the direction of the Management Committee.
(ii) Upon a request forwarded to the Secretary signed by not less than one-tenth of the Members stating the objects of such meeting, subject to Rule 61. Such meeting shall be held within not less than fourteen days and not more than twenty one days from the receipt of the request.
63. Notice of Special General Meeting. Notice of any Special General Meeting and of the object for which it is called. shall be posted in the Club by the Secretary a clear fourteen days before the date appointed for such meeting (except in the case of a Special General Meeting called under Rules 52,53 and 54) and no other business except that for which the meeting has been convened shall be brought before a Special General Meeting.
64. Quorum. At a Special General Meeting the numbers present shall form a quorum.
65. Only Members may Purchase. Only members and bona fide visitors (rule 68) may purchase.
66. Proceeds. The proceeds of the supply of refreshments shall be carried to the credit of the Club funds for the benefit of the Members generally, and no individual servant or other sha11 derive any advantage from the supply thereof.
67. How often Visitors may be introduced. At the discretion of the Management Committee every Member may be permitted periodically to introduce one friend as a visitor, but the same visitor shall not be admitted more than once within a period of one calendar month, unless special consent be obtained from the Management Committee.. Management Committee at their discretion can authorise parties of visitors providing that a list of those visitors is received by the club at least 24 hours before such visit.
68. Names to be Entered into Visitors’ Book. The name of the visitor and the member by who he has been introduced shall be written in the Visitors’ Book kept for that purpose.
69. Visitors who have been Rejected as candidates or Expelled from the Club. No person who has been expelled or who, having been a candidate for election, has been rejected from membership of the Club, or who is indebted to it (see Rule 8) shall be admitted as a visitor.
HOURS OF OPENING AND CLOSING
70. Opening Hours. The Club shall be open any such hours as the Management Committee may decide. Should the Management Committee propose to close the Club on Good Friday or Christmas Day or Boxing Day they shall cause three days’ notice of such intention to be posted in the Club
71. Special Occasions. The Management Committee shall have power to extend or curtail the time of closing the Club on special occasions by resolution of the Management Committee which shall be exhibited on the Club notice board at least twenty four hours previously specifying the nature of such special occasion.
MISCONDUCT BY MEMBERS
72. No gambling, betting, drunkenness, bad language or disorderly conduct shall be permitted on the Club premises. Any infringement of this Rule will render the Member offending liable to be dealt with under Rule 43. It shall be the duty of any officer, Management Committee member, employee or member of the Club to take every available means for putting a stop to the offences in question, and to report them forthwith to the Management Committee through the Secretary.
APPLICATION OF FUNDS
73. The funds of the Club shall be applied in such manner as the Management Committee consider best in the interests of the Club, and in furtherance of the objects for which the Club is formed. The Management Committee shall have power to borrow funds for the Club when considered necessary.
AMENDMENT OF RULES
74. No new Rule shall be made, nor any of the Rules herein contained, or hereafter to be made, shall be amended, altered or rescinded, unless the consent of a majority of two-thirds of the Members present and voting at a General or Special General Meeting called for that purpose. Propositions for amendments to Rules, other than by the Management Committee, must be submitted in writing to the Management Committee one month prior to the date of such meeting, and shall be posted in a prominent part of the Club for at least fourteen days before the meeting. No such proposition shall be taken into consideration unless supported by twenty Members who shall attach their signatures to such notice.
75. The Club may be dissolved by the consent of three-fourth of the Members testified by their signature to some instrument of dissolution.