The club was formed in 1939 and has served the residents of the surrounding area since. The houses local to the club were constructed by the master builders Selley, Monks and Blay and used to form the Central Ward voting district of the Merton and Morden Urban District. Until recent years only residents of this Central Ward could join the club, hence the name. The land on which the club is built was donated to the residents by the builder Selley for recreational purposes and was originally part of a golf course which was laid out in 1911 on Estate company land that encompassed Martin Way, Hillcross Avenue and Monkleigh Road. The golf club had 300 members who paid an entrance fee of 6 guineas and a yearly subscription of 8 guineas. The clubhouse designed by John Brocklesey, the leading architect of the Merton Park Estate, can still be seen in Maycross Avenue.The club is private, non-political and non-affiliated, it is owned by the members and managed by 5 officers, who deal with the administration of the club, 3 trustees, who look after the interests of the members, and up to 12 committee members who make all the important decisions and generally keep the club ticking over. The current management committee is shown on the display board in the entrance lobby.